Wednesday, March 4, 2009

today.

went to my internship, same as every wednesday- group therapy, "happy days" (activity and stimulation program for Alzheimer's patients). We had pet therapy today, N (I'm only going to use first initials -patient confidentiality) brought in the sweetest puppy, her mom is a client in happy days, and N volunteers. She's really a nice lady. Then we put on some music and danced. I asked B if she wanted to dance, told her how lovely her sweater was. B never really wants to do anything. She used to speak fluent english but reverted back to yiddish/gibberish when her brain started to deteriorate. She takes my hand. If you knew how difficult it is to connect with her you would understand that her taking my hand was a big deal. anyway, we dance and about twenty minutes passes by and its time for lunch. i ask her, "B, are you hungry? do you want to eat? its time for lunch" and point to my mouth and my belly. She looks at me and responds:

"No; I like you."

and goes back to yiddish and gibberish.

i dont even know what the feeling is; all i know is that i evoked something in her and she in me as well.
it was completely beyond my comprehension and so gddamn beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment